Thursday, May 29, 2014

Harvard University

Harvard Logo
Established in 1636, Harvard University is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States. It was established by vote of the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and was named after its first benefactor, John Harvard.

In the early years, the college offered education with the combination of English university model and Puritan philosophy. As generations passed by, different ideas, such as Enlightenment, and improved knowledge had shaped Harvard into one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Currently, Harvard University have about total of 21,000, including about 6,700 undergraduates and about 14,500 graduate and professional students. It offers 46 undergraduate majors, 134 graduate degree, and 32 professional degrees, which range from business, law, medical, to engineering and many more professions. Among these, I see myself majoring in subjects relating to molecular and cellular biology and at the same time double-majoring or minoring economy because I have passion toward both human bodies and money since I was small. Keep going on, I might change my mind about what I want to do in the future. But, for now, I want to go into either medical school, where I can find my passion and interest. Looking at how each cell in human's body interact with each other, and learning how to cure people make me excited just thinking about it.

With such academic advancement, there are 47 Nobel Laureates, 32 heads of state, and 48 Pulitzer winners. Martin Karplus, one of the chemistry professors at Harvard, received the 2013 Nobel Prize in chemistry for his search "for the development multiscale models for complex chemical systems." In 2012, Alvin Roth won the Nobel Prize in Economics "for the theory of stable allocations and the practive of market design." There are more people with great achievements to talk about, but for now, I will stop here.

Besides amazing academic performance, Harvard also has a lovely campus that has both historical and aesthetic value. Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, its main campus is center on Harvard Yard, and 3 miles away from the State House. Harvard Yard contains the central administrative offices and the main libraries, academic buildings, and Memorial church. The Harvard Business School, Harvard Stadium, Harvard Medical School, and many other buildings are dispersed in Cambridge and even located in Boston. Aside from these magnificent buildings, Harvard has a library system that comprises about 73 libraries with 18.9 million volumes, 174,000 serial titles, an estimated 400 million manuscript items, 10 million photographs, and much more digital data. The numbers are astonishing; I wonder how I will feel when I walk in the libraries, and look at those countless beautiful books sitting on shelves waiting for me to read them. I think I will be overwhelmed by the wonderfulness.

Sitting here typing out information about Harvard University, I feel more and more excited. Seeing  and reading those beautiful images and descriptions on academic and the beauty of this school, I have a deeper understanding on what to focus on when I get there. I cannot believe that it is less than a month away. Get ready and keep calm for the awesomeness of Harvard University!  

2 comments:

  1. Jing,

    The information you presented here makes me excited to visit this historic institution. What fantastic history awaits us! Thank you for the research - I have learned so much from reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I am also excited to visit Harvard University!

    ReplyDelete