Saturday, June 21, 2014

(E/c^2)(√-1)(PV/nR) + Harvard = ???

I was about to mix things up today in my blog with an allusion to Rebecca Black starting with "Waking up 9 AM in the morning, gotta be fresh" but three minutes into parodying the first real verse of the song I realized it was a bad idea.  So instead I'll be giving you my usual flat explanations of things until I come up with something nice to entertain you all with.  For now all that my morning consisted of was Starbucks, a chocolate croissant, an Amtrak train, and Boston.
Arriving at Boston we took the Red Line once again, but this time to Harvard.  When we walked out of the subway station at Harvard, we conveniently found ourselves placed at our meeting place with our private tour guides, Massachusetts hall.  The campus was fairly crowded today as the summer school students were moving in today.  After looking around the Harvard Yard for a little while, our first tour guide, Eric Hollenberg, appeared.  Eric is a rising sophomore majoring in behavioral economics.  Later, our second tour guide, Nu Xiong, appeared.  Nu is also a rising sophomore majoring in sociology.  After our greetings, we promptly departed on our tour of Harvard.

The two gave very detailed descriptions and information regarding Harvard's academics and its history.  For instance, I learned that Harvard's Widener Library has five floors of bookshelves underground and that the man it was named after was on the fateful Titanic ride.  I also learned that Harvard has a tradition of rubbing a statue, or the John Harvard statue, on its toe for good luck, an imitation of the Yale tradition.  After the tour we went to Henrietta's Table for lunch.  There, I ordered a seared halibut cheek and had an angel food cake for dessert.  The halibut was complimented well with mushrooms and made each bite go down easily while the food cake was super sweet with berries and pomegranate sorbet, a bit too sweet for my tastes actually.  Both Eric and Nu were extremely helpful and were very willing to give us advice on our applications.  They were really down to earth and great people and I had a great time, despite my quietness today.  After lunch we said our goodbyes and thank yous to the two and left for the subway station again where we would be heading towards MIT.

The art piece on my MIT post, I was wondering what
it was and what it was for, and apparently it's
because the chemistry building's design creates
a wind tunnel that prevents the doors from opening
and the structure interrupts the wind so the wind
tunnel is not as strong. Quite interesting if I do say
so myself.
At MIT, we met with another private tour guide from the MAPS organization at MIT, Megan Cherry. Megan just graduated this year and majors in chemistry and will be attending graduate school at MIT next year.  Megan gave us a great perspective of the school from a student's point of view.  She guided us through every building and explained the architecture and layout of the campus very well, from the "Dome" to the "Dr. Suess building" which I am sure is labelled by numbers since, as Megan put it, "Everything is numbers here."  After the tour, we thanked Megan and left.

For the final part of the day after returning to Providence, we had a nice dinner at the Melting Pot, where we shared cheddar and alpine cheese fondue.  Then we had a meal with mojo and coq au vin broth and finished the meal off with chocolate s'more and dark dulce chocolate fondue.  Finally we left for our final night staying at the hotel to write our blogs and finish the day.

Tomorrow we will be moving into our dorms and having our orientation for Brown.  I'm fairly excited as I've always wanted to live a dorm life, but at the same time I'm worried about what kind of roommate I will get if any at all.  Hopefully he will be a nice person that I will easily get along with and not a party-hard type of person.  It's going to be a long day after tonight, so I should probably get some sleep.  Although today's blog isn't as long as the rest of my cohorts' as always, the blogs will likely begin to get shorter and shorter as less goes on in the day, so I apologize in advance.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment