Saturday, June 28, 2014

Walking Through History

Waking up this morning at 7 AM, I wasn't sure why I was waking up since I was wait-listed for the Boston trip and there was a chance that I wouldn't be able to go on the trip.  Thankfully, I was able to go on the trip to Boston despite being wait-listed.  At Boston, I walked around with Arnold, Jing, Jing's roommate Amuila, and another girl named Marita.  We were confused as to what to do, so Amuila simply decided that it was best for us to go along the Freedom Trail and visit museums and historical sites.  We visited sites such as the site of the Boston Massacre, the Old Statehouse, and Bunker Hill.  The walk was long, but the views were worth it. In between the walk, we had lunch at Quincy Market.  The girls went to an oyster bar while Arnold and I tried our first Philly Cheese Steaks.  Initially the taste wasn't as great as I expected, but as I ate on, the taste seemed to get better and better.  

Me at Bunker Hill
The entire walk took up all of our time in Boston, so after Bunker Hill, we simply marched back to our buses.  I came to Boston with the intent of finding souvenirs for everyone at home, but unfortunately I did not find anything for anyone, as many of the items in the gift shops were extremely overpriced and most of the things didn't fit the interests of family and friends at home.  Personally I would have preferred window shopping, going to the aquarium, or visiting Harvard and MIT once more, but I guess that's my fault for not speaking up.  Nonetheless, the walk was quite fun.

Back at home, we all grabbed a quick dinner and then went back to our dorms to wash up before going to Waterfire Providence.  I asked my RA if we were doing anything, but unfortunately we weren't going down as a group.  Instead, I just met up with Arnold, Jing, and Amuila to watch the event.  We found seats right next to the river, so close that we could almost touch the water.  There were multiple tour boats floating across the water as the sun was setting, and finally the time came to light the torches on the river.  I can admittedly say that Waterfire is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life.  The flames were stunning with their glowing reflections in the river, lighting up the night, the warmth of the flame holding me tight, sparks dancing through the air.  I honestly felt a tear forming in the corner of my eye, as I wished to share the feeling with everyone back at home.  Thankfully, I have a camera on my phone, social media, and this blog, so I can at least share the visual with all of you!

Beautiful Waterfire (No filter for those who are wondering)
Now I'm back in my dorm, exhausted from all the fun I had today.  I had a quick discussion with my roommate, Alex, about midnight hunger and how it's the worst here.  We're not allowed to leave the floor so we can't get a quick midnight snack from a store or restaurant.  Because of this problem, Alex brought back snacks in addition to my snacks I bought the other day, so I can say that we're going to be okay for a while.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to go check out the RISD again, but this time with more of the cohort, so a bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment