Friday, June 20, 2014

"Vox clamatis in deserto" Speaks Well in "Live Free or Die" (In Progress Due to Technical Difficulties)

I apologize for the delayed post. There were technical difficulties which did not allow me to use Blogspot for a while.

Pondering upon the extraordinary visit I had to The Big Green today, I felt that my love for Dartmouth despite my concerns about the social problems portrayed in the media has become more fervent. New Hampshire has always been a state I wished to visit and to even reside in after doing a state report on Vermont because of the similarities of its quaintness and its independence exemplified by the spirit of the people as well as the pristine environment around. The lovely lunch at the Hanover Inn Dartmouth followed by a personable tour, an information session, and a Q and A session with one of the admission officers. I am so glad was I able to physically visit the campus so I have a solid idea of whether or not it is a place I should apply to but a place that I will not regret choosing. I will of course do more research on more specific elements from the Language Study Program to the specifics of engineering research and courses so that I can even see if Early Decision may be a viable option - after not doing just sufficient but very deep and reflective research so that I can truly be at the best place that I can serving my passions as well as fostering the best impact possible from me to the world an vice versa.

Departing from Providence was a bit tough as I had a bit of a stomachache from the prepared hotel coffee but luckily I felt  and still feel fine after using the restroom at the Amtrak Station. After boarding Amtrak to South Station, we stopped for a quick breakfast at South Station where I got a nice Bahstonian asiago bagel with cream cheese. People watching was truly amazing as it felt similar to Grand Central Station with its rushed commuters and tall atrium, but in Boston, there was so many kiosks and even stores that provided so much convenience to travelers and even visitors soaking up the ambiance. It was quite frankly one of the best experiences in my life where I was finally able to take a glance and to soak up the atmosphere of Boston. But I know I will be there for a longer period of time during the trip so I looking forward to that experience. I also have a profane love of history and Boston serves as the ideal epicentre for this country. (As I am typing this I am actually in Wolburn right now!) After taking the Dartmouth Coach for three hours while admiring the mesmerizing summer, green foliage of the evergreen trees as well as talking about research opportunities, its impact with a Dartmouth professor sitting next to me ( I thought he was a student at first and he says that he gets that a lot. As of now, I will request if it is ok for me to disclose his name so please hang tight.) , as well as taking a nice nap after a deficiency of sleep the night before. I felt a bit guilty as I may have wasted three hours but almost EVERYONE slept at least once on the journey.

The charm of the buildings around The Green as well as (woah something just crashed and it didn't sound good...) the pristine scenery of rural New Hampshire made waiting in from of the Hanover Inn very pleasant. I thought about the number of governmental regulations compared to many other states as well as the first presidential debate. Hanover was a smaller town than I thought but in actuality it was rather lively with many shops open with sophomore summer students starting on the first day of the term. I believed that Dartmouth made students take the summer term between sophomore and junior years but I have met many who have either done it earlier or later. I thought it would be one of the least anticipated terms of a college student but I have spoken to many other people who liked this system as it enables people to bond closer with other students as well as participating in activities that are usually extremely recreational. Students typically take only two classes for the summer term which enables students to further immerse themselves in even more interests and activities. I thought that the lunch would be a bit intimidating as well but it was actually a very intimate and lively atmosphere where June Chu, one of the deans of the college, was really lively and outgoing where she encouraged us to ask almost any question. It was great to talk to '15s about their various majors as well as their opinion and their apparent enjoyment of campus life and other non-academic activities. I was able to talk with all the students, especially Charles Park who is an economics major with a finance track. Jack and I had a flamboyant conversation about economic matters as well as what students are able to do after they graduate. The food was especially lovely where I had a nice meal with what I had been meaning to get for all this time on the East Coast, lobster. I also talked with Ferman Liu about the gender studies culture at Dartmouth and I wasn't particularly surprised to know that there is a relative amount of sensitivity regarding the issue but that discourse isn't that foreign as the mandatory writing classes that Dartmouth students take involve controversial topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment